Here are ten things you might not know about me:
1. I don’t care if you shaved your legs before coming to see me. We’re not on a date. However, I do appreciate it if you’ve bathed.
2. There is nothing you can say that will shock or embarrass me. Nothing at all. I spent 4 years working in Greenwich Village in NYC.
3. The chair with the wheels on it is mine. I get antsy when someone else sits in it. Get off of my chair- there are two others in the room for you!
4. I like to hear what’s going on in your life outside of your health. It tells me a lot about you. It helps set you apart from my other 4,000 patients.
5. I know you don’t always take your meds. No one takes them all the time. I’ll also know if you’re not taking them at all.
6. I don’t mind if you look stuff up on the internet. However, I appreciate it if you listen to my point of view, too. Even though my name is not Dr. Oz, I do occasionally know what I’m talking about.
7. Sometimes, when I’m giving someone bad news or hearing about someone’s troubles, it’s all I can do to not cry.
8. I’m not shifting around and looking jumpy because I’m impatient. I just have to go to the bathroom.
9. If you’re a jerk to my office staff, I don’t care about how nice you are to me. You’ve already lost my respect.
10. I have saved every “thank you” card that a patient has ever sent me. Every single one. If I’m having a bad day, I take them out, look at them and remember that it’s all worth it.